Bennetts Insurance
Yam-XT.com Forum Index
Yam-XT.com
Yamaha XT660 Forum

AlbumAlbum  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems logging in? Send an Email to Admin@Yam-XT.com stating your username and any error message that you get. Thanks

Prepping the bike for the green lanes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_not_andrew
XT-125 Rider
XT-125 Rider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Prepping the bike for the green lanes Reply with quote

Hi all

I've just joined my local TRF and hope to take my shiney new XT660R down the trails.

I've fitted the yamaha hard guards and getting some TKC80's fitted this morning. I've got a MX stand on order but going to get the shop to fit the tyres this time and then change the rear when I need to myself.

I've got a couple of questions about the bike offroad:

Can anyone tell me what the bike is like down the trails? Anyone else mad enough to start trailing on a large lump like the XT?
What are the best choice of trail tyres for going offroad?
Apart from a bash plate next, what else do you recommend for off road prep?

Much appreciated.

Matt
matt
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good strong set of hand gaurds with a spare set of brake, clutch, gear leavers and a rear brake pedal too.

and have fun Very Happy

a crash isn't a crash it is an artform
matt_not_andrew
XT-125 Rider
XT-125 Rider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 13:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt

The Yamaha handguards should take care of the levers issue. Hopefully they will prevent any breakages.

I'm going to price up a spare gear and rear brake set this week. Gonna need a bashplate too but at the price I've seen them I'm going to have to save for that.

What do most people use to deal with punctures off road?
I was looking at some gel for the tyre to prevent puctures (this would save me carrying spare tubes, repair kit, spanners and tyre levers). Anyone got any thoughts on this stuff?
Lady P
Likes It Pink
Likes It Pink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 18:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt not andrew, buster is selling his bash plate really cheaply its in the for sale section. Give him a pm.....

Manami Akimoto
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
buhi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 23:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi matt not andrew,

TKC80 is nice choice I think, and I also have fitted it. Very Happy
If you like more muddy trail, T63 may be number one!
However T63 is cheeper than TKC80, but I choose TKC80. The reason why is the noise of T63 on the road. Mad

To prevent punctures, gel may be useful for pinhole...,
I am carrying spare tube(rear only), repair kit, spanners and tyre levers, for some tear of tube.

My XTR has foldable brake and shift pedal.
Brake pedal is processed from another off-road bike's pedal.
http://userdisk.webry.biglobe.ne.jp/000/763/09/1/IMG_0005.jpg
Shift pedal is from OTR.

thanks, Wink
matt_not_andrew
XT-125 Rider
XT-125 Rider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I got the TKC80s fitted saturday and although they are a little less grippy than the stock tyres, I'm sure they will work well on the trails.

I'm a little worried about rear tyre mileage but if I keep the speed down on the road then I'm hoping to squeeze 2k out of the rears. Got my MX stand coming soon so I'll have no excuse to change my own tyres!

Olso got the bash plate on order from a forum member. It's the Yamaha one which is not as sturdy as the other after market ones but at least I'll have some spare cash for a decent helmet and goggles.

Point taken on the ripping tubes issue. Going to get myself one of those small backpacks with the water bladders inside and small space for spares. Will be going to the BMF in May so I'll try to get some things there. Hopefully we can arrange an XT meetup at the show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Yam-XT.com Forum Index -> XT660R tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: