Bennetts Insurance
Yam-XT.com Forum Index
Yam-XT.com
Yamaha XT660 Forum

AlbumAlbum  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems logging in? Send an Email to Admin@Yam-XT.com stating your username and any error message that you get. Thanks

Thinking of trading in the XTR...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_not_andrew
XT-125 Rider
XT-125 Rider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 21:16 pm    Post subject: Thinking of trading in the XTR... Reply with quote

...but not sure if it's the right idea.
I've been offered a few good deals on bikes and not sure if I'd be making a mistake.
I love the XT but now that I've got 10k on it in a year I'm starting to get itchy for a new motor.

Options are:
-DRZ400SM (already have a 2001 E)
-XT660X
-Road bike like SV650, Bandit, Vstrom or FZR
-Keep the XTR for another 6 months and wait for end of summer sales

I use the bike all year round for commuting 30 miles a day to work and do about one 200 mile trip a month to visit family up north. The missus goes on the back in summer for about 5 rides. I like the XTX option cause I kinda already have one and have all the luggage, racks, bash plate etc which saves if I buy one.
I really like the fact that yam service intervals are 6k to suzuki's 3.5k but there are some good deals on Vstoms and Bandits at the moment (0% finance) which would make up for the difference in paying a bit more for extra servicing.

Anyone else been tempted like this? I feel like I'm cheating on the missus thinking about replacing the Yam.
xtfreak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 23:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, im wundering what yammy would give me for my 04 xtx with 7100miles on the clock, against an 07 xtx, black 1 of course.
What do you recon.
black dog
XT-550 Rider
XT-550 Rider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I should be answering this, as I feel like a bit of a traitor, but the Bandit is an awesome bike! Totally different beast to the XT, but awesome.
matt_not_andrew
XT-125 Rider
XT-125 Rider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 19:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackdog, what do you think of Suzuki asking customers to service their bikes every 3500 miles? For me, doing in excess of 10k per year, this is a bit of an issue. I don't see why only Yam seem to offer longer service intervals.

I know what you say about the bandit. I've been looking today at the Kwak ER6 - similar to the bandit and SV and also around 4k at present.

I'll probably keep the XT till end of summer though, just like to look every now and again (I get in trouble from the missus for doing this when it comes to women tho!!!)
black dog
XT-550 Rider
XT-550 Rider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 22:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rough opinion on service intervals - I don't mind. I reckon bike engines are highly stressed compared to a car's, and servicing every 4k is probably about right. If any manufacturer extended service intervals to 10k or whatever, I would want to know what they had done to make the in-between service unnecessary. If the valves have been changed from shim to screw-and-locknut adjustment, that would be a good reason. But I'd still want to change the oil and filter every 4k no matter what the manufacturer said.

Suzukis have a reputation for having bulletproof motors. Perhaps the frequent servicing is why.

Just my 2c.
Tassos
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 18:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2007 XT X is a true temptation. I was looking at it yesterday in a Yamaha dealer here in Greece, and it was fantastic!

However, it's not time for a bike change for me yet. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Yam-XT.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: