Bennetts Insurance
Yam-XT.com Forum Index
Yam-XT.com
Yamaha XT660 Forum

AlbumAlbum  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems logging in? Send an Email to Admin@Yam-XT.com stating your username and any error message that you get. Thanks

Need info on Speedo Healer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
willy1818
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Need info on Speedo Healer Reply with quote

Hi
I would like to know how the speedo healer device works. I understand you can use it to make sure your speedo reads correctly, but how do you do that? How do you know how much it is out and what a true reading is?

Just wondering as i am thinking of getting one as i have changed my front sprocket so it reads high.

Thanks
Michael
black dog
XT-550 Rider
XT-550 Rider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 15:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking into this when I changed my front sprocket. If you google for speedo healer, there are quite good instructions and an explanation on the website.

Basically, all the unit does is take the output of the speedo drive and perform an arithmetical calculation on it to change the value that is input to the speedo. Ride at a constant speed with a GPS unit attached to the bike. Note the indicated speed and the GPS speed, and work out the ratio of one to the other. You can do the sums yourself, or there is a calculator on the website, but you tell the unit to multiply the reading by (say) 0.96 and it will reduce your speedo reading by that amount. You can also use it to convert from miles to km and vice versa.

If you can't find the website, I'll have a look and post it here.
willy1818
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes found the web site thanks.

What if you don't have access to a GPS?

http://www.speedohealer.com/
black dog
XT-550 Rider
XT-550 Rider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 18:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno really - are you sure you don't know someone with one that you could borrow? I know bike-specific GPS units are quite rare, but you could gaffer tape a car unit to your screen - ?

I see you are in Oz. This may not work for you, but in the UK there are marker posts every 1km on our motorways. With a bit of preparation and homework, you could time yourself against these and (in the UK at least) convert to miles and work it from there. That would be a rather tedious way of doing the job, but you would get there in the end.

Personally, I would beg, borrow or (at a pinch) steal a GPS unit. It wouldn't even have to be a car-type satnav - my old Garmin GPS12 (bought for fell-walking) will give a speed readout in mph and kph.

That's the website I was thinking of, BTW.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Yam-XT.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: