Bennetts Insurance
Yam-XT.com Forum Index
Yam-XT.com
Yamaha XT660 Forum

AlbumAlbum  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems logging in? Send an Email to Admin@Yam-XT.com stating your username and any error message that you get. Thanks

70 for a replacement key!%*&%!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_not_andrew
XT-125 Rider
XT-125 Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 13:10 pm    Post subject: 70 for a replacement key!%*&%!! Reply with quote

Last week I dropped my key fob on the way to work - it had my spare key on it.

Yesterday I called my local Yamaha dealer to get a price on a replacement. Replacement key is about 10, getting cut is about 8 and then they need to recode it to the red key.

Total time for cutting and recoding is aparently 1 hour = total price 70!!!!!

Thats a little steep in my book. Can anyone confirm if they have paid a similar price for a replacement? I didn't even pay that much to replace all the locks on the doors in my house and garage!

Matt
The Mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 15:21 pm    Post subject: AH Well... Reply with quote

At least you still have the 'main' key, as I am told by my dealer if you loose that one it will cost big time!!!!

70.00 does sound expensive, have you checked out the price with another Yamaha Dealer? It might be that your quote is the cheaper!

Haven't checked in the XT manual but isn't there something in there on this subject?

Hope you get sorted more economically.
greasedweasle
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 21:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this link is a bit old so i hope you are already sorted.
All three of my keys were done under warranty when they changed the ecu. I know it never took anywhere near that time. Contact Yamaha Europe direct and get them to give a price.
Failing that give lamba motorcycles a ring in carshalton and ask them. In my experience they have top after sales and are not trying to rob you.

Good luck

Benkei Furusawa

Amane Motoori (Japanese Motorcycle Rider)
matt_not_andrew
XT-125 Rider
XT-125 Rider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 19:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply weasle.

Actually, I've been a bad boy and riding with no spare key for the last 2 months Rolling Eyes

I called the same dealer yesterday to arrange taking the bike and keys in and they now reckon it should only take 5 mins to re cut the key (they take it to a locksmith for this) and then about 10 mins to recode all the keys. They could not tell me if the recoding was the same recoding that is done in the ignition (like the manual states when one of you rblack keys stops working) or if it was a complete recode using a coding machine (similar to the ones locksmiths have for fords and the like).

The said it should be about 25 for the key, cutting and coding. Mmmm.... I smell a dodgy dealer! But if it is the coding is done in the ignition then I assume we could all buy spare blanks from Yamaha for 6, take them to a normal locksmith and then code them at home!

For those who have been having key troubles, please see my recent post about the seat lock issues I've been having:

http://yam-xt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738

I'll let you know how the key and lock issues are resolved!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Yam-XT.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: